Look around and you will see a lot of outstaffing vendors that could help you seamlessly implement all the benefits of this model into your business processes. But how to forge a partnership with the right company to reduce all the existing risks as much as possible?
Well, we should exhale with relief because it’s not that complicated as it might have seemed at first sight. We are going to share with you a checklist that will walk you through from the doubts to the reasonable confidence when selecting the suitable outstaffing vendor.
The questions in the checklist are categorized by appropriate thematic groups. Let’s get started.
- Will I take part in the hiring process? Despite your partner takes care of the hiring process make sure you will take part in interviewing of the best candidates picked up based on your requirements.
- Is there any minimum limit of the developers number I can start with? Some outstaffing companies oblige you to hire a particular minimum of developers (from 3 or 5 ones). Find out that your partner gives you flexibility in this regard. If you need just one developer you hire one.
- Is the average length of the hiring process appropriate? One of the main benefits of outstaffing is time saving. You should check if the vendor allows you to take advantage of this oppotunity.
- Does the vendor apply any team retention approaches? Undoubtedly, if you appreciate the contribution your software developer make to your project you would strive to keep on collaboration as long as it’s mutually beneficial.
- Does the vendor offer a probation period for developers? Like within an in-house business model you might want to have the option of developer replacement. Based on our experience optimal probation period duration is two months.
- Can developers demonstrate strong English communication knowledge? According to the statistics, about 80% of Ukrainian developers have Intermediate and higher level.
- Is there an overlap between your time zones? The less difference between your and your partner’s time zones the more efficient you will adjust the workflow. In fact, one hour overlap is enough to keep things up-to-date.
- Will your vendor provide knowledge transfer business trips to the core office? We shouldn’t neglect the importance of face-to-face acquaintance with your developers. It allows them to dive into your internal workflow with deeper perception of your core goals.
- Is the development team supposed to be fully dedicated to me? Make sure to get guarantees your developers will work only on your project. That’s why we recommend you utilize time trackers.
- Is your vendor flexible in terms of communication channel choice? Nowadays there is a wide abundance of communication tools. Ideally, if your partner sticks to your preferences when selecting it.
- Will the vendor provide developers with computer equipment? Make sure outstaffing vendor will ensure that your team will get a full package of computer equipment. In separate cases, this duty could be assigned to you if your developers additionally need some special equipment for testing execution.
- Can your vendor provide a fast and stable internet connection? Make sure your partner has at least two internet providers.
- Is it possible to have a virtual tour through your vendor office area? Probably you have a crazy workload and out of time to make a personal visit. Make sure your partner is ready to arrange a video or photo guide through the office to get you acquainted with the office environment of your developers.
- How long has the vendor been operating on IT market? Outstaffing vendors which are long enough in the game can offer you extensive diversified experience and bring you more value on the plate.
- Can the vendor share case studies related to the technologies I’m interested in? It’s well known that “our actions speak louder than words”. Make sure your partner is able to show you some of the relevant completed projects.
- Can your vendor provide feedback from the past or existing clients? If you still feel the lack of trust this option is going to be a doubts killer. Make sure you’ll get provided with feedback on demand.
- Does the vendor charge for recruitment or not? Obviously, a positive answer to this question will prevent you from moving forward. Feel free to extend your search track until you come across a company that doesn’t bind you with such expenses.
- Is the monthly management fee is clear? Is it stable or flexible? We suggest you request a transparent financial roadmap to avoid any sorts of misconceptions on your way.
- Should I make any deposits to get started? Even if you are under pressure and rush to close the open position just push the brakes and look around. A right partner that doesn’t demand any prepayments could be one click from you.
- Does the vendor offer an agreement adequate to international standards? Make sure you will be provided with a sample of outstaffing agreement beforehand to examine its conditions.
- Can I suggest any amendments to the agreement? Make sure you can offer reasonable amendments to put into agreement conditions.
- Is your vendor ready to sign the NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement)? In case you are going to share with your partner some confidential information you want to protect, it’s principal to sign it.
As this checklist doesn’t contain an exhaustive list of pivotal questions you might need to clarify before making a decision, feel free to expand it with complementary ones. There are no doubts, utilizing this evaluation method of outstaffing vendor will definitely spare your valuable time and let you move forward based on the received answers.
Artem Litvinov is presently working as Customer Success Manager with TrendLine Global. Artem is one who is passionate about helping people materialize their IT ideas into real valuable solutions.